02 September 2010

A Taste of Bosnia

Bosnia and Herzegovina recieved their independence fairly recently as far as countries are concerned. In fact it hasn't even been twenty years since they officially became independent from Yugoslavia. I actually knew someone from Bosnia when I went to middle school and because of the Bosnian wars in the 90s his parents had immigrated to the states to escape the horrors that were going on. Because many of the people in Bosnia are Muslim, they primarily eat beef and lamb along with plenty of vegetables. Traditional Bosnian dishes do not exclude meat and of course everyone has heard of Baklava, which is a very traditional desert. In fact the guy I know once brought Baklava his grandmother had made and I definitely have a long way to go before my Baklava is as good as hers was. Meat is typically grilled, although sometimes raw smoked meat is served. I went with one of the most tradtional Bosnian recipes I could find, a type of kebab called Ćevapi.

Ćevapi is a small sausage that is made from a mix of two types of minced meat, often beef and lamb. These little sausages are then grilled and served on a type of flatbread called Lepinja. Typically one serving of Ćevapi is four to six sausages and toppings may include onions, tomatoes, and a cream called pavlaka, which is a bit like sour cream. Both the sausages and bread are best served hot right from the grill or oven, but that's nothing new since we all know food is best when fresh.

To mince my lamb meat I stuck it in a food processor for no more than a couple "pulses" and I can say you definitely don't want it to be ground any more than needed or it might become dense sawdust while cooking. Something you never want. I mixed it with ground beef and added a little bit of onion, garlic, and mild chili. You can actually make these little guys as hot or mild as you want. Lacking a grill, I used a griddle and then broiled them for about 2 minutes to brown them. I also made my very own Lepinja (I know, I went all out for this meal! Two recipes in one dish!) I found the flatbread very easy to work with and boy did it come out delicious! I ate half a piece while waiting for my Ćevapi to finish.

The German in me was very happy with this meal, the sausages were very flavorful and I loved the addition of the mild pepper and served on steaming Lepinja with onions, yum. This is definitely what I think of when I hear the word "street food." I ended up eating the rest of my Lepinja for breakfast after warming it up a little and slathering it with butter and jam, delicious. Don't expect the flatbread to last more than a day, mine was definitely on its way to becoming stale. The sausages tasted almost as good for an afternoon snack, but are also much better fresh. Overall, my Ćevapi meal was a success and I definitely want to try them on a grill in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Cevapi – I cut this recipe in half and got about 8-10 little sausages which is about 2-3 servings with the lepinja
    ~0.7 lbs minced beef – I used ground, seemed to work well
    ~0.3 lbs minced lamb
    2 garlic cloves
    1/4 cup minced onion
    mineral water – I just used good old tap water, mineral water is such a European thing
    4 tsp. oil
    hot chili to taste (optional) – I used about 1/4 of a mild chili pepper, not spicy at all, but great flavor
    salt and pepper to taste

    Combine well all ingredients for Ćevapi. Refrigerate mixture over night. Wet hands with water and shape the mixture into uniform rolls. Cook the Ćevapi on a hot lightly oiled barbecue grill or frypan for 6-10 minutes, turning frequently. I actually cooked mine in a frying pan and then broiled them for a minute to brown them a little. Ćevapi can be served on its own or between slices of lepinja (see below)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lepinja-4 rolls

    3/4 cups flour
    1/2 Tbsp. yeast
    1/4 Tbsp. sugar
    1/4 Tbsp. salt
    1/4 cup lukewarm milk or water
    dash of baking powder

    If you are using fresh yeast or plain dry yeast, mix with the water or milk & water and add the teaspoon of sugar. Put aside for 10-15 minutes or until a good number of bubbles start forming. (If using fast-acting dry yeast, simply combine with all the dry ingredients.)
    Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and knead well by hand for about seven minutes. This can be a somewhat sticky dough, depending on your flour; but don’t worry — the bread will still come out all right.
    When finished kneading, put the dough in a warmed bowl, cover and set aside in a warm place to rise until double (at least an hour). When risen, stir down or punch down, depending on the wetness of your dough, cover again. Rise until doubled, another hour. Flour a work surface and turn out the dough. With floured hands, knead the dough again briefly, then divide into between three and six portions, depending on the size of the lepinja. Form these pieces into balls, flour them lightly, and allow them to rest for five or ten minutes; then flatten them (using a rolling pin if you like) to about half an inch thick, or a little thicker if making large lepinjas. Place on a floured baking sheet and rise again for another twenty minutes.
    Preheat the oven to 425°F. Put in the baking sheet with the dough rounds. Bake at 425°F for five to seven minutes — the lepinjes should be just turning golden — and then lower the heat to 300°F. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.
    Remove from the oven and let them rest wrapped in a dishtowel for ten minutes or so to soften the crust. Then split or slice open. Serve hot, and as quickly as possible! And please note that these won’t keep much longer than a day before going amazingly stale.

    ReplyDelete